Club SCMM
November 24, 2017, 05:46:31 PM *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: Check it out! The LATEST edition of the SCMM Newsletter is now available!!!  Get it here!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigation DVD Upgrade  (Read 39397 times)

mikeesmini

• SCMM Member
    • Email
Navigation DVD Upgrade
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »

I am looking for an upgrade to my OEM Navigation system in 2004 MCS JCW. Does anyone know of an upgrade DVD for the 2004 year because the 2005 and up model will not work with the 2004 according to ECS Tuning?

I currently have a "bootlegged" DVD version from sometime in 2008-2009 but it is outdated now and I know there must be someone out there who can help me with this. I do not want to spend the extra $$$ for it from the dealer.
'04 MCS, JCW w/upgrade kit, Combo Pkg's 1-2-3, NAV, H/K, R90 Wheels, Leather, Xenons, H&R Springs/Sway Bar (19 mm), Koni FSD, Ireland Fixed Camber Plates, Yokohama S Drives, Front and Rear Strut Bar Braces, ALTA adjustable rear end links

JimW_SoCal

• QXXOTIC
  • Calendar Editors
  • SCMM Member
  • Drive it like you mean it!
    • Email
Re: Navigation DVD Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »

I have an '04 myself with NAV.  If you are going to Santa Anita on Saturday look me up and I can show you what I did with mine.. Not what you may be looking for but it's a GOOD solution.

Jim
(QXXOTIC)
2006 GP (0917), 2004 MCS w/over 254,000 miles. 15% Alta V2, BKR7EQUP plugs, Akebono and Hawk Ceramic pads, Koni FSD Struts, JCW Intake, Injectors, Strut Brace, CF Rear Wing, Dash, Downtubes, Shift Lever, Ring & E-Brake Handle. OEM Navigation with Intravee II i-Pod sound system, Michelin Pilot SuperSports, M7 Carbon Air Plate Diverter, Sound Racer and Custom stripes. 2017 Kart Racing Commissioner.

mikeesmini

• SCMM Member
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »

Hi Jim,

I will not be attending the Santa Anita event this Saturday because I am now living in Edmond Oklahoma having left Mission Viejo almost four years ago. I still monitor the board when I need something or have issues like this one so I seek out the board for help. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Mike
'04 MCS, JCW w/upgrade kit, Combo Pkg's 1-2-3, NAV, H/K, R90 Wheels, Leather, Xenons, H&R Springs/Sway Bar (19 mm), Koni FSD, Ireland Fixed Camber Plates, Yokohama S Drives, Front and Rear Strut Bar Braces, ALTA adjustable rear end links

JimW_SoCal

• QXXOTIC
  • Calendar Editors
  • SCMM Member
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »

Ok Mike.  Here's the story. 

I found that my Garmin 2460 (or one of the new ones with lifetime traffic and maps along with voice command) was financially superior to the OEM Nav in addition to being more accurate.  Instead, the OEM unit now serves as the base display unit for my Intravee II system.  This is difficult to find but well worth the trouble.  It allows an i-pod connection with the NAV screen used for display and search functions just like using the screen on the i-pod.  Back and next functions on the left steering wheel just like the radio and volume control on the right.

It becomes a virtual CD player and connects through the rear well cover on the right side.  Out of the way and really GOOD sound.

The Garmin unit will cost less than the OEM DVD from the dealer and you always have upgrades available several times a year for FREE! Another thing available with the Garmin is an additional "Eco Route" module.

Plugging into the OBD II port and wirelessly sending data, you have a virtual set of gauges that are user selectable 5 at a time..  Options like coolant  temp, boost, intake temp, speed, RPM, and several others.  Easier than a Scangauge unit.

I know this isn't a real answer to your original question but it makes a LOT more sense than paying $200 every couple of years for maps that are upgraded less frequently.  It would be great if Mini offered a comparable option but they haven't come out of the ice ages yet on that one..

Let me know if you would like more info on any of these.

Jim

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:58:14 PM by JimW_SoCal »
2006 GP (0917), 2004 MCS w/over 254,000 miles. 15% Alta V2, BKR7EQUP plugs, Akebono and Hawk Ceramic pads, Koni FSD Struts, JCW Intake, Injectors, Strut Brace, CF Rear Wing, Dash, Downtubes, Shift Lever, Ring & E-Brake Handle. OEM Navigation with Intravee II i-Pod sound system, Michelin Pilot SuperSports, M7 Carbon Air Plate Diverter, Sound Racer and Custom stripes. 2017 Kart Racing Commissioner.

JimW_SoCal

• QXXOTIC
  • Calendar Editors
  • SCMM Member
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »

Mike, 

I JUST saw a 2014  OEM 2 disc DVD set listed on NAM for $150 and an Intravee II and KCA-420i (the system)  with 3 days left on Ebay.  The $149 is a good price for this system.

That could be the other option.

Check it out! 

Jim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:00:31 PM by JimW_SoCal »

mikeesmini

• SCMM Member
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:05 AM »

Jim,

In my research for the upgrade on NAM, I found out that the 2 disc set will not work on our 2004 model year. The set is for 2005 and up so no help there. I called my local MINI dealer and was told that they need my VIN number in order to sell me the latest version of maps for 2013-2014 because of the differences from 2002-2004 models to the 2005 and up models. The "new" disc costs $199.00. In consideration of using my on board NAV or using my GARMIN, I might just spend the money for the MINI version but I would like to find someone who will discount it some to make my wallet feel a little lighter  :BangHead:

Do you know someone at a dealership there that can help with the pricing?

Thanks for your help.

JimW_SoCal

• QXXOTIC
  • Calendar Editors
  • SCMM Member
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »

I would definitely compare features and price points.  The Mini versions were the lower end when they first came out with an upper-end price.  You CAN add the file to convert the car to YOUR Mini.  I have mine set up that way.. EASY to do.. I see the same model as I have  2460LMT for $174 refurb with a year warranty on sale for the next 48 hours from the Garmin factory outlet store.

This unit has

Lifetime Maps
Lifetime Traffic
Junction View (shows off ramps, etc)
Voice Command
      (lets you search for an intersection or point of interest just by talking to it)  GREAT option!

and it has the capability to add the ECO Route module for the gauges.. ($104 new from them)

I think it represents a great value..  (Still less than the cost of the DVD NAV disc)

eldredjames

• SCMM Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »

I have a 2004 also.  I recently (last year?) picked up the recent map DVD on eBay for $20.  But. they appeared to be bootleg.  It also crashes when you find a point of interest and then try to get directions.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up