Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check it out! The LATEST edition of the SCMM Newsletter is now available!!!  Get it here!
109207 Posts in 9295 Topics by 1749 Members
Latest Member: FitzofSFV
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Club SCMM
|-+  MINI Stuff
| |-+  Detailing
| | |-+  CilaJet
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CilaJet  (Read 15165 times)
Mini Q
SCMM Member

quaranta@mac.com ourpsalm
WWW Email
CilaJet
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »

CilaJet is some kind of super epoxy coating for the exterior finishes of the car.  Does anyone have experience with this on their car?  If so, how much did you pay for it?
Crevier is putting this on alot of the cars they sell.

Tim Quaranta

{Quaranta = "40" in Italian}
SPRINTEX Supercharger, 550 injectors, cam, Mynes Tune,  Iridium plugs, Stock exhaust, Stock air filter,   Euro package tray.
George
Administrator
SCMM Member

WWW Email
Re: CilaJet
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »

I checked the CilaJet website.  First time I ever heard of this particular product.  I hate to think what they're charging for this, my guess is it's not cheap.

SCMM Officer
03 MCS IB/W -- TKT2FUN
K&N Typhoon Intake, Alta 15% pulley, B&M short shifter, H-Sport sway bay, Steve's special exhaust treatment, glove box organizer, Passport X50 radar detector, Garmin NUVI 650, iPod
Mini Q
SCMM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

I called Crevier, Kyle quoted $150 to apply cilajet to my Mini, about $250 for my X5.  I may go for it on the X5, that car takes longer wash & wax.

Tim Quaranta

SPRINTEX Supercharger, 550 injectors, cam, Mynes Tune,  Iridium plugs, Stock exhaust, Stock air filter,   Euro package tray.
TrboKrt
SCMM Member

Black Is Best

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »

The thing to remember about adding an exterior spray protectant (like a clear bra) is that is changes the visual quality of the paint. Ask Lex about the ability to really make his complete hood pop like the rest of the car after a detail.

Sprays like this changes the optical quality of light refracting off of the paint to where the color may look dull or give a more orange peel effect. Polish does not seem to help especially if it gets pitted which it will eventually do. I watched Richard (OctaneGuy) trying to clean up Lex's hood and it basically was a wash.

Now with this product I am reading that it sort of acts like Teflon but more permanent. Not sure how it would look on a car since it is originally an aviation product. And IF you decide you do not like the effect on your paint, you more than likely would need to repaint all sprayed ares of your car.

Just a thought.  Smile

Current Ride: 2005 Jet Black/Imola Red M3 SMGII ZCP
Former Ride: 2007 MCS 6sp Astro Black (Built 01/07)
Lexster05
Multi-MINIac
SCMM Member

SoCal Multi-MINI Maniac & MINI TAGGER

Lexadams@hotmail.com LexAdams lexadams@yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »

Great.... Brad had to use my MINI as an example.

Crevier is probably using DP Tinting to do apply the CilaJet.

A lot of dealerships will try and convince you to get these products and tell you that it will protect your car and you will never have to wax it again.  A couple of years ago it was called perma-plating, now they are using Cilajet product. 

Truth is that no matter what product you put on, it will still require maintenance.  However, when you use another epoxy on top of your existing paint, you will not be able to use the same methods, techniques and products that are typically used on normal cars.  Instead, you will have to either use products from the same manufacturer (in this case Cilajet) or you will have to bring your back in where you had it applied because in order to keep the warranty only experts can wax and maintain the epoxy.

Before you get it applied, you should ask a lot of questions.
1. How many years has the product been in the market?
2. What is the warranty?  How is voided?  They may say you have to follow a regimen and only use certain products.
3. What does it really do?  Make sure you're buying the product that you want.  Just because it says it protects your paint does not mean you don't have to do any maintenance on it.  Trust me...swirl marks show up on clear paint as well as on other epoxy coats.  The awful thing is that if they do not clean your car correctly, any blemishes that already exist and not fixed can not be fixed after putting on the epoxy coating without sanding down the area and repainting.
4. How do you maintain it after you put it on?  Can you use the popular detailing products out there...or do you have to stick with whatever they give you (which could be more expensive)?

Honestly, if you look at the costs to maintain your car's paint and exterior, you will wind up paying the same amount.  If you're as obsessive as most MINIacs, you will want to wax, polish, and sometimes buffer your MINI so that it always shine.  Unfortunately, you might have to pay someone else to do that each time you want to fix a scratch because the epoxy coat is very fragile and finnicky.  So weigh the costs, do it yourself (which is cheaper and more fun) or having to let someone else do it which is more expensive.

Here's a big myth:
No matter what they tell you... if bird poop is left on your car, no matter if you have a protective epoxy coat, it will still leave an etch mark.

I have 20/20 hindsight.  It's like getting insurance for your runflat tires...waste of dinero.

$150 isn't that bad...but again, find out what you're getting yourself into.

All the best,
Lex

R.I.P. Floobie ~ Totalled July 2006 '06 PS/B MCS #1 & #2 - 15% Pulley & Alta CAI.  E P 8500 X50 Radar Detector, Ipod Adapter, Lo Jack, H-Sport Comp Swaybar, Ace Allure Wheels, Maxxis MA-V1 225/45/17 Tires.
Mini Q
SCMM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »

I too have been skeptical of "never wax again" type coatings.  This one caught my attention because it states they guaranty against bird droppings, etc in the first sentence of the warranty. I have attempted to attach the PDF of the warranty.

Thanks for the dialog guys.

* cilajet%20warranty%2010yr.pdf (42.99 KB - downloaded 230 times.)

Tim Quaranta

Lexster05
Multi-MINIac
SCMM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »

W Automotive LLC guarantees to the original owner of the vehicle that all cilajet? treated exterior surfaces will maintain the ?new finish? look against weather-induced damage and will be resistant to damage from bird droppings, acid rain, corrosive contaminants, hard water spots, mineral deposits and tree sap for up to 10 years from the date of purchase of the vehicle, as long as cilajet? is re-applied to the exterior of the car after 5 years of ownership. (cilajet? must be reapplied within 6 months of the 5-year anniversary of the original purchase date of the vehicle for the full 10-year coverage to be in effect.) If any cilajet? treated surfaces are damaged by fading, oxidation or loss of the ?new finish? look from weather-induced causes at any time during the 10-year or 5-year warranty period, W Automotive LLC will reapply the product at no additional cost to the consumer, or repair or repaint the damaged surfaces. Repair of damages from bird droppings, acid rain, contaminants, sap and water or mineral spots is limited to surface reconditioning

Original Owner?s Responsibility: cilajet? must be applied to an eligible vehicle within ninety (90) days of product purchase from the authorized dealer. In order to retain the Limited 10-Year or the 5-Year Warranty, the treated vehicle must be properly maintained by frequent washing and the removal of any foreign substance, as soon as it is noticed. If a bug, tar, or tree sap remover is used, cilajet? must be reapplied to the affected surfaces to keep the warranty in force. Failure to maintain the vehicle?s condition by regular and appropriate washing/cleaning invalidates the warranty.

Washing: To preserve your vehicle?s ?new finish? look, keep it clean to minimize the exposure to corrosive contaminants. Wash vehicle as often as necessary by simply rinsing the vehicle with water or, if needed, use a quality, mild, non-abrasive vehicle detergent.

Like I said... you have to keep up with the maintenance.
The bird poop etchings will require surface reconditioning of the epoxy coating and not repainted.  You might not get the same look.

You'll get the same results if you care for your vehicle yourself and pay yourself to clean it. 

It's not worth getting the inside of your MINI epoxied... all they do is scotch guard the cloth seats and put some type of leather treatment on your leather.  Again, you will have to maintain the interior which you would do anyway.  Just get a sunshade to protect your dash and get your windows tinted. Wink

R.I.P. Floobie ~ Totalled July 2006 '06 PS/B MCS #1 & #2 - 15% Pulley & Alta CAI.  E P 8500 X50 Radar Detector, Ipod Adapter, Lo Jack, H-Sport Comp Swaybar, Ace Allure Wheels, Maxxis MA-V1 225/45/17 Tires.
Lexster05
Multi-MINIac
SCMM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

Mini Q
SCMM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »

Thanks Lex for uncovering the details here.  Sometimes I'm terrible about deciphering out the sticky details.  I will now schedule a Saturday for me and my polisher to have bonding experience. Laughing

Tim Quaranta

mOstyn
I Have Mad Cow
SCMM Member

Read my posts at your own peril.

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »

Mostyn Here with my two cents.

I didn't drive my MINI on the freeway until I got a clear bra hood and bumper. I have 10k miles and a pitted windshield but no marks on my paint or headlights. The product is a 3M product marketed as XPEL. I did not have the dealer install it.  I have never waxed my car. I use Zaino polish. Some people will say that it is a lot of work to prep the car for the first time. I didn't find this to be. It has been a very good experience. I use just their products on the paint and I have one of the best paint surfaces you have experienced.  I am very very happy with both of these products.

I hope this helps you.
 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Remember Lighting Blue is .2ms faster than chili red and blows away that new black with silver stuff in it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:35:15 PM by mostyn » Logged

Mostyn Faulkner
Lightning Blue R56 MC named Scooter.
Capo Beach, CA
TrboKrt
SCMM Member

Black Is Best

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

Um now you are going to tell me that blue is faster than "danger CR"? Black is in all colors to a degree "it's in ya, man".

What next, the stipes makes it stealthy? LOL Smile
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:18:32 PM by TrboKrt » Logged

Current Ride: 2005 Jet Black/Imola Red M3 SMGII ZCP
Former Ride: 2007 MCS 6sp Astro Black (Built 01/07)
mOstyn
I Have Mad Cow
SCMM Member

Read my posts at your own peril.

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »

Um now you are going to tell me that blue is faster than "danger CR"? Black is in all colors to a degree "it's in ya, man".

What next, the stipes makes it stealty? LOL Smile

YEP

Remember Lighting Blue is .2ms faster than chili red and blows away that new black with silver stuff in it.

Mostyn Faulkner
Lightning Blue R56 MC named Scooter.
Capo Beach, CA
Ladystarlight

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »

995.00 is what they charged me at Crevier. It's too soon to know how it performs.
MrChips
Membership Coordinator / Webmaster
Officers
SCMM Member

(aka: Rich Larson)

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »

995.00 is what they charged me at Crevier. It's too soon to know how it performs.

Ouch!  I hope it turns out to be worth the cost!  Please keep us informed of how it holds up over time. 

PS: Welcome to the club!

Rich

Rich, Diana, Emma, Maggie and Riley Larson - Trabuco Canyon...
"You know you're a MINI Maniac when all the cars on the road start to look like little orange cones..."
Ladystarlight

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

Ouch!  I hope it turns out to be worth the cost!  Please keep us informed of how it holds up over time. 

Thank you for the kind welcome Smile

...I really, really feel like speaking with Kyle (who scheduled me to come in next week, I think I've got a computer problem) about his quote of $ 150.00 to the above forum poster and why I paid 995.00...seems like an overcharge to me, but I could be wrong.

PS: Welcome to the club!

Rich
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: