Club SCMM
September 22, 2017, 08:05:20 AM *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: SCMM LANDS' END E-STORE & LOGO'D APPAREL   For More Details Click Here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our little Classic, Bumblebee  (Read 30095 times)

JoanieB

• Officers
  • SCMM Member
  • "Winnie"
Our little Classic, Bumblebee
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »

We so wanted to drive our new Classic up to Santa Anita yesterday, but he 'went British' on us and he is having starting issues. Many of our friends came up and offered advice, which was wonderful, gave us some ideas and insights. Anyway, for those who haven't seen him, this is Bumblebee:

We've worked hard on him since we bought him in October.

This is what he looked like when we brought him home. He was set up for racing, so he has some mods. Still doesn't make him fast like our MINIs are fast, but considering his size and weight, he's plenty fast in his class. However, we aren't adrenaline junkies, we would rather enjoy driving him at events and around town.

He's had a lot of changes in a few months, primarily the paint job, which is with Rustoleum gloss enamel, like a lawn chair

Joanie

JoanieB

• Officers
  • SCMM Member
  • "Winnie"
Re: Our little Classic, Bumblebee
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »

Our first goal was to tackle the rust and get his metal protected, since we live on the coast. He has remarkably little rust for a forty year old car, but a few places did need work. The bonnet was one of them. We used POR 15 which is amazing (if messy) stuff.

His engine is not original, it's a 1098 cc that was often put in the Clubman cars of the era. It has oversized pistons, a custom camshaft, and that sort of thing. He also has upgraded Cooper S brakes on his 10" wheels, better suspension, and a good manual transmission. He's a right hand drive. We drained the coolant the other day, and getting your hands in there to work is.... interesting. Anyone have an eight year old child to rent out?

I'm learning to drive him, a challenge since I never drove manual before, and he demands constant attention from the driver. The first time I took him out on my own, he took me five miles and then.... "Lady, do you need us to help you push?" Yes. Yes please.

Luckily, we opted for a higher level of Auto Club, because a couple of weeks later, there I was again....

The tow truck drivers love him. But they can't figure out where to hitch their line to. We may need to put tow hooks onto him if this habit continues!

Anyway, we're learning so much, and even when he's quit on us, we haven't quit on him. And we haven't quit grinning!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:16:31 AM by JoanieB »
Joanie

JoanieB

• Officers
  • SCMM Member
  • "Winnie"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:18:28 AM »

So we hope to see you at an event, once we get a few things sorted out.  :laughing7:

Joanie

jitterbug

• Officers
  • SCMM Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

:icon_thumright: Wow! What a great! paint job and how cute "Bumble-Bee". Hope you can bring "Bumble -Bee" to the next San Diego Breakfast?

Jitterbug

AuthiMini

• Andrew Russell - San Diego
  • SCMM Member
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »

Joanie,
Next year, let's caravan both our classics together.  We will need both cars to carry all the spare parts and diagnostic tools needed... :occasion14:

The drive back to San Diego yesterday was painful.  I heard (via KNX) that the 5 and the 405 were complete messes, so I retraced the route back toward Seal Beach on the 605 where Dan lead the caravan up from. From there, the 405 and 5 in Orange County were fine, but just before getting to Oceanside, it jammed up completely.  I ended up bailing off the interstate at Cannon Road (gee, this neighborhood looks familiar...) and took the coast road - along with all the other traffic avoiding the freeway.  :BangHead: Oh, well, at least that had the advantage of great ocean views...

-Andy-
Andrew Russell
2004 IB/W MCS "DBCUUPR"
1973 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300

mini pearl

• Officers
  • SCMM Member
  • Mini Fuz
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »

:twisties:
Sorry to hear you both had traffic ,, I always scoot over the 210 to the 57 to the 60 to the 15 or the 57 to the 91 to the 15 depending on my coin toss ,,,, it can bunch up a bit on the 57 to 91 connector as well as the 60 to 15 connector ,,  :BangHead:
But Just 2 exits south of the 91 to 15 connector is a Tommy's Burger & Mobile station ,,, Maggie & I like to make that our official stop for getting gas & getting "gas " ... :oops:  & then we're ready fir the remainder of the trip home,,,,
I try to avoid the 5 south bound as much as possible ,,,
Hope Bumblebee is back to running again soon ,,
Had a blast at Santa Anita ,,
Nancy Homer
Club Treasurer

JoanieB

• Officers
  • SCMM Member
  • "Winnie"
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »

An update on Bumblebee... he's now been ours for six months, and he has changed a lot. He now runs dependable (knock on wood) with a new electronic ignition system, and a new clutch cylinder. He's become a happy daily driver. Work continues, however, and it is time to begin tackling the interior. Here are a few photos of him currently.

Joanie

George

• Administrator
  • SCMM Member
    • http://on.miniusa.com/resume.jsp?user=3707
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »

Looking good Joanie!  What an amazing transformation since Bumblebee first came home with you.  :icon_thumright:
SCMM Officer
03 MCS IB/W -- TKT2FUN
K&N Typhoon Intake, Alta 15% pulley, B&M short shifter, H-Sport sway bay, Steve's special exhaust treatment, glove box organizer, Passport X50 radar detector, Garmin NUVI 650, iPod
Pages: [1]   Go Up